Hip roof — what types of structures exist, how to do it yourself?
A roof is more than just a covering for a building. At its core, this is a reliable design that perfectly protects the house from various atmospheric phenomena. The best option for solving this problem is considered a hip roof. In order to verify this, we suggest that you get acquainted with the design in more detail.
What is a hip roof?
Such a roof consists of four slopes, two of which resemble trapeziums placed opposite each other, the rest are called hips and resemble triangles. The four-pitched roof is widespread in the modern construction of country houses. In addition to functionality, they are endowed with visual beauty. The hip roof is characterized by the presence of dormer windows, which are used to ventilate and illuminate the attic.
hip roof construction
At the base of the roof is a complex structure consisting of beams and rafters. A frame is mounted on it and an outer coating is placed on top, which can be represented by tiles, slate or ondulin. The hip roof truss system consists of the following elements:
- support base;
- ridge beam;
- main rafters;
- diagonal and inclined rafters;
Pros and cons of a hip roof
In order to accurately determine the appropriate type of roofing, you need to understand what advantages and disadvantages they are endowed with. Consider what advantages a hip roof has:
- strong wind resistance;
- structural rigidity;
- the possibility of creating large canopies;
- practicality regarding precipitation;
- visually the house looks like below.
In addition to the advantages, the hip hipped roof has some disadvantages:
- high price;
- design complexity;
- small loft.
Types of hip roofs
The popularity of the design has led to the fact that the roof of this type has several varieties. The most popular are:
- Classic hip roof. The differences are the use of straight rafters and the location of overhangs on one side.
- Half hip dutch. The difference is considered to be the size of the hip shortened up to three times in comparison with the length of other slopes. Ordinary vertical windows are installed in the attic structure.
- Half-hip danish. The variety provides for the presence of a vertical front, below which an end ramp is installed.
- Shatrovaya. It is installed on square-shaped houses. The hips are shaped like an isosceles triangle, while they all converge at one point.
- broken structure. It consists of slopes of different sizes, which diverge at angles of different sizes. The design and installation of such a structure is more complicated than the classical one, but at the same time, the houses look impressive.
- L-shaped. Used on ranch style homes. Inclined panels form the letter «G» with their shape.
Do-it-yourself hip roof
Calculation and installation due to complexity must be carried out with special care. In order to avoid mistakes, it is better to seek help from specialists. In general, the assembly of such a roof consists of the following steps:
- Drawing up a diagram of the rafter system.
- Calculation of hip roof parameters.
- Acquisition of all necessary materials.
- Flooring waterproofing material on the base of the house.
- Marking walls for installation.
- Installation of the system according to the scheme.
- Roofing material flooring.
Installation is recommended to be carried out in accordance with the following rules:
- Measurements are best done using a special rail to avoid errors.
- The durability of the structure can be achieved using only softwood beams.
- The main beam and rafters must be of equal thickness.
- All measurements must be taken at the bottom of the rafters.