Interior and exterior decoration of a country house
When designing a country dwelling, many make a mistake, directing all creative forces and energy to its layout. The placement of rooms and the material of the walls is of great importance, but do not forget about the finishing work. Finishing a country house should be as environmentally friendly as possible, easy to install and resistant to external destructive factors.
Finishing the facade of a country house
In the construction of any dwelling there is no place for haste. In order for the exterior decoration of a country house to retain its visual appeal for many years and reliably protect it from natural vagaries, the following rules must be followed in its production:
- Before starting finishing work, the house must be given time to shrink, and wood buildings to dry the timber.
- When performing work, it is necessary to strictly adhere to the technology. So, finishing a country house should be carried out in warm and dry weather. In the cold season, to maintain the desired warm regime, you will have to use thermal curtains.
- When choosing a material for finishing the facade, one should be guided not only by aesthetics, but also take into account the climatic features of the area, the technical characteristics of the materials (linear expansion coefficient, mass, etc.). We should not forget about the increase in the load on the foundation and the possibility of a «conflict» between different materials.
- Before finishing, the facade must be covered with a layer of waterproofing material: wax paper, glassine or the like.
Stone decoration of a country house
Stone decoration can give any building an expensive and majestic look, turning it from a house into a mansion. The material for it can be both natural (marble, granite, traverine) and artificial origin. Facade decoration of a country house with stone has the following features:
- Marble and granite are the most capricious — they require careful surface preparation, high-quality adhesive solutions and highly qualified specialists. In addition, such cladding significantly increases the load on the foundation.
- Traverine or tufa is easier to install — it is lighter in weight, easy to saw and sand, while having excellent insulating (heat and noise) characteristics.
- Artificial stone is not much different from natural stone both externally and in terms of characteristics, while its cost is several times lower. Even a novice master can handle facing with artificial stone.
Finishing a private country house with siding
Going through a variety of options for exterior decoration of a country house, many prefer overlapping thin strips of various materials (vinyl, wood, metal) — siding. And this is natural, because houses with such finishes look stylish and neat, and the layer of insulation used according to the technology provides the home with additional protection from weather vagaries. The cost of siding is relatively low, which also plays in its favor. But such a cladding has a significant minus — fragility.
Finishing a country house outside with brick
Traditional brickwork allows you to embody the most daring ideas for decorating a country house. With its help, you can change the appearance of any building beyond recognition, give it smooth lines or highlight any details. A similar method of finishing a country house must be planned at the stage of pouring the foundation — it should provide a place for supporting the brick cladding. The places where it adjoins the openings (doors and windows) and the roof must be carefully protected from moisture.
Finishing a wooden country house
Houses made of wooden beams are a traditional way of building, moreover, the most environmentally friendly. They are distinguished by relatively low cost and a special atmosphere. But wood has one drawback — over time, it tends to darken and become covered with moss. Water-resistant coatings: paints, varnishes, primers, etc. will help to preserve the external attractiveness and protect wooden buildings from the influence of dampness. Facade decoration, as well as ceiling decoration, in a country wooden house can also be done with clapboard (wooden siding).
Options for interior decoration of a country house
If, when choosing a method for finishing the facade, the owner of a country house is constrained by many limiting factors (climate, material and type of construction, bearing capacity of the foundation, etc.), then in the design of the interior, he is free to be guided by personal taste. Many people use the decoration of a country house with wood, which emphasizes its closeness to nature and suffers less from the inevitable shrinkage. It will be appropriate to look at various types of plaster, and their various combinations with wallpaper. But plasterboard sheathing is best left for city apartments.
Living room in a country house — decoration
When designing interior spaces, it is important to understand that the decoration of rooms in a country house should be done in the spirit of minimalism and using natural materials: wood, stone, etc. The center of the living room in such a dwelling traditionally becomes a fireplace, which attracts all household members and guests of the house to its warmth. Bright tones of furniture upholstery and textiles will give the living room a slightly hooligan spirit, and allocating part of the room for a play area will help to relax perfectly. An excellent option is to place the seating area on a covered veranda, where there is a lot of natural light.
Finishing a bedroom in a country house
A bedroom in a country mansion can also be decorated in a rustic style: wooden ceiling beams, unpainted wood or decorative plaster on the walls. Popular options for finishing a country house inside include a variety of combinations of light-colored materials with a minimum of decorative elements. Fabric-covered or leather-panelled walls in the bedroom look unusual and stylish.
Finishing the kitchen in a country house
Decorating the interior of a country house is unthinkable without a thorough kitchen layout. What it will be depends on the overall design of the house, its size and the preferences of the owners:
- Like other rooms, it would be appropriate to decorate the kitchen in country style: simplicity and a minimum of pretentious details, wood and natural textiles.
- Options for wall decoration in a country house in the kitchen include the use of wallpaper, decorative plaster and, naturally, different types of wood. A wooden kitchen set made of the same wood as the window frames looks interesting and unusual.
- If a large room is allocated for the kitchen, then it is reasonable to combine it with the living room or dining room, maintaining both functional areas in a similar style. You can separate them using beams on the ceiling, flooring (for example, by changing the direction of laying the laminate or lining).
Bathroom decoration in a country house
Unlike bathrooms in urban apartments, where home designers have to use miracles of ingenuity to install everything you need, bathrooms in country cottages allow the imagination to run wild. But although it is spacious here, the decoration of a country house and bathrooms has its own deterrent factors:
- Bearing capacity of floors. When equipping a bathroom on the second floor of a cottage, one should take into account the weight of plumbing and finishing materials — together with the weight of the pipeline filled with water, it can reach significant numbers.
- Warming and ventilation. Unlike apartment buildings, bathrooms in country cottages need additional insulation and mandatory ventilation, otherwise, due to condensate, any design tricks risk falling victim to dampness.
- wall material. For wooden cottages, the option of traditional bathroom tiling will require additional preparation — the walls will first have to be sewn up with gypsum boards, which should be fixed with a special fastener to prevent deformation during shrinkage.
The interior lining of a country house is quite acceptable for bathrooms, but requires special wood processing. Otherwise, the boards will warp very quickly and go into ugly spots.